Sunday, March 8, 2009

Classic Movies, One at a Time



Apparently my roommate has lived under a rock most of his life, because every time I try to throw out a line from a famous movie he hasn't seen it and the whole thing is ruined. To remedy this situation, I've embarked on a project to introduce him to all the wonderful films he's missed over the past two decades. The project started last year and has recently resumed with a screening of There Will Be Blood. It's taking us days to get through it due to time constraints and his acute ADD.

In one semester we were able to knock off a lot of my favorites, including some 90's classics (and a few even older): Forrest Gump, Fight Club, Gladiator, Office Space, Anchorman, Braveheart, Lord of War, Meet the Parents, Pan's Labyrinth, Fargo, Dr. Strangelove and Crash, among many others.

Much to my chagrin he refuses to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy because they're "too long" and he doesn't like "all that fantasy (stuff)." Also, he apparently has something against trilogies, although he hasn't been able to explain that to me. He won't watch any of the Star Wars movies either because they're too "nerdy." What he doesn't realize is that even the manliest of men have a special place in their heart for Star Wars, and it takes a real man to admit it.

I'll continue to work on that, though. Up next: Sling Blade.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Star Wars movies. I haven't seen any of the new ones, but when I was younger and they were re-vamping the older ones, my uncle would take my sister and I to see them.

    I would play "dress up" all the time and make myself Pricess Leigha (sp?) and my cat Chubacca/Chewy (sp?). I was her like two years in a row for Halloween, too.

    There is no shame in liking Star Wars! : - )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I admitting to being a nerd when I say that I love the Star Wars AND Lord of the Ring movies? Fantasy is the only "stuff" I really enjoy. Well...that and A good Bruce Willis movie never fails.
    I must say, though, that my roommate is much like yours. In fact, the only movie that I've heard her admit to seeing was PS. I Love You...

    ReplyDelete